Queen Mary's Basic Surgical Skills Summer School
22 July - 02 August 2019 (Total of 150 hours, of which 45 will be taught hours)
Barts Cancer Institute, Charterhouse Square, London, UK
Summary of course
The Queen Mary's Basic Surgical Skills Summer School (QMBSS) is designed for medical students who aim to follow a career in surgery, or allied healthcare professionals who need to acquire basic surgical techniques. Combining traditional teaching with hands-on practice and simulation, the course aims to deliver comprehensive training on essential surgical skills, as well as introduce fundamental research methodology. Experienced and approachable instructors will allow participants to learn and practise in a safe and friendly environment. The on-site laparoscopic surgery training facilities will provide a unique immersive experience into simulation-based learning, ranging from 3D trainer boxes to the use of virtual reality. To ensure a genuine hands-on experience, animal tissue will be used to enhance the participants' experience and consolidate their learning.
Continuous in-class practical skills assessment (50%), 2,500-word assignment (25%) & In-class oral presentation (25%)
Following successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the surgical career pathway in the UK and familiarise with the surgical specialties available.
- Identify and demonstrate safe operating techniques, including gowning and gloving.
- Identify and deonstrate basic surgical skills, including knot tying and suturing techniques.
- Identify and demonstrate safe techniques in local anaesthetic application.
- Describe and explain fundamental practices of laparoscopic surgery.
- Identify and practise handling of laparoscopic surgical instruments.
- Describe fundamental skills in research methodology, including searching the literature and critical appraisal.
- Outline management of common surgical presentations and emergency scenarios.
- Interpret arterial blood gas results.
- Present a surgical topic in a structured manner.
- Introduction to Surgery
- Surgical specialties overview
- Following a surgical career in the UK
- Gowning and gloving
- Handling instruments
- Knot tying and needle handling
- Tissue incisions and dissection
- Suturing (interrupted, continuous, mattress and subcuticular)
- Application of local anaesthetic
- Excising a skin lesion and sebaceous cyst
- Debriding a traumatic wound
- Theory behind laparoscopic surgical techniques (camera and instrument handling, depth cueing, fulcrum effect)
- Practising in laparoscopic trainer boxes
- Using VR laparoscopic trainers
- Fundamental research skill teaching (how to read a paper, searching the literature, critical appraisals, data analysis)
- Management of common surgical presentations
- Team-based learning in surgical emergency scenarios
- Clinical Anatomy as applied to surgery: thorax, abdomen, head, neck and limbs
- Basics of interventional radiology
- Artificial intelligence and simulation in Surgery
- Interpretation of arterial blood gases
- Skills in microsurgery
- Oral presentations
*The course content and programme timings are subject to change.
Who is it for?
Do you aspire following a career in surgery? Or, are you just looking for an opportunity to learn new, or advance your own, surgical skills? If yes, then the Summer School of Basic Surgical Skills is just for you. Entry requirements: This programme is open to medical students (UK or International) and UK-based allied health care professionals (nurses, physician assistants, theatre nurse practitioners etc.). Good knowledge of the English Language is required.
How to apply?
For information on how to apply please contact:
Mr Marios Nicolaides – firstname.lastname@example.org